How to stay minimal with grooming & technology essentials?
We all know: it’s easy to go overboard and pack unuseful stuff, even for a quick little weekend getaway out of town. Since I’ve been traveling back and forth Quebec and Montreal for a little over a year, I now know how to pack very light and bring only what I consider essential.
Here is a list of a few items I like to carry whenever I’m leaving for a couple days. Indeed, if you don’t need all that, you don’t need to bring everything I suggest but I consider this a basic list for me.
Tell me in the comment section, What are YOUR absolute essentials when you’re traveling?
My grooming essentials
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturizer with SPF 20: This is an all-time favourite for me. I’ve been using it on a daily basis for years. There is no strong scent and it feels very lightweight. Indeed the SPF 20 in it doesn’t replace your higher SPF sunscreen but it’s a good basic protection. It retails for around 20-30$ and comes in three different sizes. My favourite one is the 97ml because it’s easy to carry in the travel pouch. Also, the pump on it gives you just the right amount of product.
- Travel Size Shampoo and Shower Gel: I like to carry travel size shampoo and shower gel just in case the location where I’m going doesn’t have any or I don’t like the ones they have. This time I brought Annick Goutal’s Eau D’Hadrien with me, I brought them back from Hôtel Richepanse where I stayed a few weeks ago.
- Aēsop Rosehip Lip Cream: I also use this product on a daily basis. It’s part of my daily routine, right after brushing my teeth. I prefer it to lip balm because it makes my lip smoother and less sticky.
- Le Labo Fragrances Thé Noir 29 Solid Perfume: I discovered this product when I was in London. I usually carry around a few bottle of perfumes when I travel for a longer period but this solid perfume is now all I need. It comes in the widest variety of scents and you can pack a few ones in your bag. The scent stays all day and is as strong as an eau de toilette would be.
- Jack Black Beard Oil: Another favourite of mine from Jack Black is this beard oil. Again the pump is amazing and gives you the right amount of product and the oil itself doesn’t have a scent so it’s perfect if you plan on wearing perfume that day.
- Bluebeards Original Ultimate Beard Brush: This one is a recent addition to my grooming kit. I originally bought it for my boyfriend but he ended up shaving his beard. So now I use it and it gives the beard a nice smooth and natural finish.
- Kiehl’s Ultimate Strenght Hand Salve: I discovered the Kiehl’s product not too long ago when I moved to Montreal and I just love them. They’re a little pricier than their drugstore equivalent but it’s worth it. I always bring a tube of this hand cream because it’s a huge life saver for my dry hands.
- Travel Pouch/Wash Bag: I bought mine from Penfield a few years ago and I love it because of the lovely print but honestly you can have any small travel pouch like this one.
My technology essentials
Now onto the more technologic and lifestyle side of the essentials.
- Frank + Oak Zip Pouch Wallet: I’ve had this trusty wallet for a little over a year now and I carry it around all the time. It fits perfectly all my cards and money. I also added a Tile in it because I lose my stuff all the time.
- Apple iPad Mini: Very useful when in transit or when you wanna watch some Netflix and there’s no TV where you’re sleeping. Also comes handy for answering emails, FaceTime, etc.
- Glasses: only if you need them, of course! These one are from BonLook and look a lot like these much more expensive Linda Farrow.
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus: Do I need to say more about it?
- Parrot Zik 3: If you’re a frequent traveler like me, invest in a good pair of headphones like these from Parrot and you won’t regret it. It’s a bit on the pricier side but it’s worth every penny. Wireless, noise canceling and moreover, good looking.
- Medium Pouch