Located just 30 minutes away from Paris, in a region called Hauts-de-France, the charming town of Senlis is a hidden gem that’s often overlooked by tourists visiting France. But this quaint and historic town has a lot to offer, from its well-preserved medieval architecture to its lush green parks and gardens. Here are some of the reasons why you should make time to visit on your next trip to France.
History and architecture in Senlis
This French commune has a rich history dating back to the Roman times, and its well-preserved medieval architecture is a testament to its past. It was once a royal residence for French kings. From the 12th-century Gothic-style Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Senlis to the charming half-timbered houses, there’s plenty to admire in this charming town.
Natural beauty of the surroundings
This city is surrounded by lush forests, gardens, and parks, making it a perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The Jardins du Château de Chantilly, for example, is a beautiful park that’s perfect for a leisurely stroll or picnic.
How to get to Senlis from Paris or Chantilly?
- From Paris:
- Train: Take the train from Gare du Nord in Paris to the train station. The journey takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Bus: Take bus lines 350 or 362 from Porte Maillot to Senlis. The journey takes about 45 minutes.
- Car: Drive from Paris to Senlis, which takes about an hour depending on traffic conditions.
- From Chantilly:
- Train: Take the train from Chantilly to the Senlis train station. The journey takes approximately 10 minutes.
- Car: Drive from Chantilly to Senlis, which takes about 15 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
Regardless of which option you choose, getting to Senlis from either Paris or Chantilly is simple and convenient.
In conclusion, Senlis is a hidden gem near Paris that’s worth discovering. With its rich history, charming architecture, natural beauty, delicious cuisine, and lively events, it’s the perfect place for a relaxing and memorable getaway. So the next time you’re in France, be sure to add this town to your itinerary.